Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A look inside my world

As I mentioned briefly before I am caring for my aging Mom. This is not a job I ever planned for but on reflection, I suspect none of us has. First a true confession, not tabloid worthy, but a confession none the less. I was never close to my Mom. Never. Actually we are polar opposites. I am warm and fuzzy, she is not. I love all things creative, her foundation is math. I tell the people I love that I love them.....often. It's an after thought for her.

This journey has radically changed our relationship. The transformation began three years ago. At the time I was taking my Mom out once a week to run errands. I would check with her the day before to see what all she'd planned. Then the day came and it invariably took HOURS longer than I planned. Each week I returned home frustrated. Then my insightful husband gave me a brilliant piece of advice, "Just plan to spend the whole day in town." It was an "ah ha" moment that changed everything. So once a week we went shopping, out to lunch and generally futzed the day away.

Fast forward. After spending nearly everyday for the last three and a half months advocating for her at the hospital, skilled nursing and assisted living facilities she's home.Unfortunately the organization that was to provide in-home care didn't. So Daphne to the rescue! I'm hoping to have greater success after Thanksgiving finding a caregiver. In the meantime.......its me.


1 comment:

  1. While the opportunity to care for your mother may not be one you relish, I know it is one you are learning to cherish... as well as all of the small moments that bring you closer to one another after years of practiced distance. Enjoy each embrace and ignore the rest, friend!

    ReplyDelete