Saturday, August 20, 2016

A life of its own


When I stopped working in 2001 I started gardening. We had very little usable space in direct sunlight because our property is covered by HUMONGOUS deciduous trees. So I started planting pots for our deck.

one corner of our deck
Fast forward 15 years and my little gardening project has morphed into an obsession. In early spring I begin scanning garden supply stores. My copy of Sunset's Western Garden Book is dogeared and stuffed full of plant tags guiding me on what's worked and what hasn't. The book is my constant companion. Plant colors, growing habits and textures are taken into consideration.

Finally, I begin the process of purchasing. Often I'd go grocery shopping and when my husband comes out to carry the sacks in, he'd finds a flat of flowers nestled among them. It takes me a month to purchase and plant all the pots. 
What happens when I end up with a few homeless plants? I buy a new pot!
 
thunbergia 'Arizona Glow'
Currently, I plant and tend 36 pots stuffed with all varieties of annuals and perennials. I love tending them in the quiet, still morning before our little berg awakens. The stillness allows me to watch the bees and hummingbirds flit from flower-to-flower. I average an hour daily deadheading and watering my treasures but it is a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment