Monday, August 15, 2016

What a shocker

I joined an ATC (artist trading card) group 2 years ago. We meet once a month to exchange ATCs we've made representing a specific theme.

For the past 15 years my paper crafting has been in the 12" X 12", 4¼” X 5½” and 5" X 7" formats. Sooooo I thought working in the ATC format of  2½” X 3½” would challenge my creativity. Oh boy, have I been challenged!

I immediately learned that going from big to small is incredibly difficult. All my supplies are geared too LARGE. My stamps are LARGE. My ephemera is LARGE. My first thought was....oh yeah, I get to buy new stamps!  My second thought was....what the hell am I doing!

theme - washi tape
Our themes range from objective to esoteric mind benders like "wind". Huh? Each month as our meeting draws close my stress level increases. I have no ideas! What am I going to do? Finally I reach the OK, I won't go this month point. Out of frustration I sort of pout. But the theme keeps running through my mind. I should be able to do this.

Finally, 24 hours before the meeting I'm struck with an idea! I escape to my studio and begin working like a fiend. Paper, ink, stamps, scissors, more paper, dies, washi tape, more paper. I look like the Tasmanian devil.

But this month was different. I designed and made my 10 ATC cards 5 days before the meeting! Hmmm, what's going on! I'm hoping this trend continues but don't count of it.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this card! And I too fall victim to last-minute-creative-stressdom :-) Don't know what it is about a deadline that makes me want to make every and anything else but the actual project I need to complete. On the one hand, it's awesome for creativity in other areas, but on the other, it's a sign I have not outgrown the procrastinating ways perfected in high school... that vine die cut is uber delicate and absolutely "lovely."

    ReplyDelete